In 2020, the Royal Australian Mint added a new business line – investment products - to its range of minted products for sale. Customers should read these terms and conditions carefully as investment products differ in nature, pricing and conditions of sale from other Mint products.
1. Who may purchase investment products?
Individuals may purchase investment products on a retail basis. A sole trader or owner of a company(ies) may also purchase investment products as a retail customer provided they provide details of the company(ies) for identification and verification as required under Australian law.
Customers need not be Australian citizens or residents. However, for purchases of $5,000 or more, they must satisfy identification and verification requirements under the Anti-Money Laundering and Counter-Terrorism Financing Rules 2007. Each customer must have an Australian address to which the investment products will be delivered.
Prices of Investment Products, manufactured and offered for sale by the Mint, are based predominantly on the value of their precious metal content, typically gold or silver, plus a premium. Mint investment products are GST-free and customers do not pay GST on top of the purchase price.
Precious metal content is priced according to the international spot price for gold or silver applying at the time the investment product is purchased. The customer agrees to the price when placing the order. For this reason, telephone calls with Mint customers are recorded when precious metal prices are agreed. The prices are further confirmed when Sales Order Acknowledgements are sent to the customers.
The premium is a minimal price mark-up by the Mint to cover the cost of fabrication and sale and is in addition to metal price.
All prices are in Australian dollars. The monetary values referred to in this document are also Australian dollars.
3. How to purchase a Mint investment product
- Call the Mint’s contact centre (1300 652 020) and indicate that you are interested in purchasing an investment product.
- You will be transferred to an investment products sales person who will be able to clarify any questions you may have regarding sales, identification or verification.
- The sales person will inform you that the call will be recorded so that the metal price may be confirmed at the point of order and as proof of the sale.
- Please note that a binding sales agreement is made once you place an order based on the agreed metal price. From the moment the order is placed, you assume all benefits/risks of metal price movements.
- If your purchase is less than $5,000, please pay for your purchase in accordance with the terms at Payment 4. and the Mint will deliver the goods in accordance with Delivery 6.
- If your purchase is $5,000 or more, please pay in accordance with Payment 4. and proceed to Identification and Verification 5. The Mint will deliver in accordance with Delivery 6.
- Visa, Mastercard and Amex cards issued in the name of the customer may be accepted as payment. Credit card payments will be processed at the time of purchase.
- Cheques, money orders and other forms of payment are not accepted.
- Part payments or instalment payments are not accepted.
- All orders must be paid for in full and an identification form received (with verified documents for purchases of $5,000 or more) before the investment products leave the Mint.
5. Identification and Verification for purchase of $5,000 or more
- Request an identification form from firstname.lastname@example.org to be sent or emailed to you or click here to download it.
- Complete the application form and nominate the personal documents you wish to submit.
- Take the original documents and copies of the documents to Australia Post, a Justice of the Peace or an authorised person from the following list to be certified as true copies: https://www.ag.gov.au/Publications/Statutory-declarations/Pages/who-can-....
- Sign the application form and have your signature witnessed by the authorised person.
- Returned the application and certified documents to the Mint at Royal Australian Mint, Locked Bag 31, Kingston ACT 2604 or by email to email@example.com.
A fee of $10.00 is charged for each delivery regardless of quantity or value. Delivery is by registered post.
For an order under $5,000, the Mint endeavours to dispatch investment products 10-14 business days from receiving a telephone order. If the order is $5,000 or more, dispatch will be made upon receipt of the signed application form and verified documents.
Any shipment returned due to the customer either refusing to accept delivery or being unavailable to accept delivery for whatever reason, will remain the responsibility of the customer and will not be accepted as a return under any circumstances.
7. Warranty and Returned Goods Policy
The Mint warrants that products will comply in all material respects with the product specifications advertised and will be free from material defects.
The customer is entitled to a replacement or refund for any product major failure (see the Mint’s Warranty & Returned Goods Policy at https://eshop.ramint.gov.au/warranty-returned-goods-policy).
Investment products are excluded for return or refund for “change of mind.”
Purchase of investment products will not count towards a Mint Legends member’s annual spend.
The images of investment products on the Mint’s website are for illustration purposes only. Product colours may vary slightly when viewed on different devices and settings and may not be exact representations of the actual product.
Disclaimer: The Mint and its management and employees are not registered investment advisors and do not give investment advice. During a sales call, we may explain the benefits of the Mint’s investment products but at no time should these comments be taken as a recommendation in relation to purchasing or selling of investment products.
The Mint reserves the right to modify prices and terms in relation to investment products and to communicate any changes through the Mint’s website www.ramint.gov.au.