Visit the Mint
We are so much more than a factory that makes the coins you find in your change. We also make coins that you can keep and collect. We are an award-winning national cultural attraction and a heritage site. Discover the wonder of coins today!
The Royal Australian Mint’s free public tours continue in 2021. The safety of our staff and visitors is our primary focus. Additional measures will be in place to ensure tours are held in a safe manner in compliance with COVID-19 restrictions.
What will I see and do when visiting the Mint?
A visit to the Royal Australian Mint is a unique experience, accessible to everyone.
From our wonderful nature to our unique culture, we tell the story of all aspects of Australian life through the coins you use every day. And who can’t relate to coins?
We all have a coin story to share. Whether it was the first gift from the tooth fairy, the sixpence in the Christmas pudding or the vital ‘heads or tails’ decision, coins have been around for many centuries and we all use and value them differently.
On your trip to the Mint, visit our factory viewing area for a bird’s eye view of where our coins are made. See if you can spot Titan, our giant robot, and a few other robot friends who help make the coins.
Interactive touchscreens around the Mint explain the coin making process, and videos take you even closer to the action! Our galleries tell the stories of rare and significant coins.
After you’ve seen the gallery, browse our coin shop where you can even mint your own $1 coin (cost is $3). Then enjoy a light refreshment at our café.
Monday to Friday
8.30 am to 5 pm
Saturday, Sunday and Public Holidays
10 am to 4 pm
The Mint is closed on Christmas Day and Good Friday.
Entry is FREE
If you have further enquiries regarding your visit to the Mint, please contact 1300 652 020 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Royal Australian Mint Visitor Guidelines
We kindly ask that all visitors observe the following guidelines to ensure the preservation of the National Coin Collection and an enjoyable experience for all.
- If you are in need of a light snack or refreshment, please do this downstairs at our onsite café or enjoy a picnic at one of our tables out front of the Mint.
- Please keep your shoes on at all times.
- Please save those scooter and bicycle rides for outside.
- Keep your distance from the Mint’s exhibition displays so we can preserve the coin collection into the future.
- Do not leave any bags or personal possessions unattended. Visitors, particularly students, are encouraged to leave bags and personal items on their safely secured coach service. The Mint is not liable for any loss or damage of these items.
- Please don’t engage in dangerous or inappropriate behaviour. The Mint reserves the right to refuse entry to visitors who do not comply with these guidelines.
- Please follow all instructions from the Mint Staff
- Please supervise children under the age of 15 during your visit to the Mint.
- Cameras and recording devices are allowed in the exhibitions area. Photographs and videos must not contain images of children without their parent/guardian’s consent or be commercially reproduced. Please also do not take photos of Mint Staff.
- The Mint building and surrounds are smoke-free. Alcohol and illicit drugs are not permitted on the premises of the Mint.
Some tips to consider prior to your visit:
- The Royal Australian Mint has a small number of wheelchairs available on-site should you require them. Please enquire at the welcome desk or call 6202 6900 prior to your visit.
- Check our website or social media for any events, exhibitions or programs that are running and may require a booking to avoid disappointment.
- Check the free public tour times for the day you are visiting on our website.
- Contact the Mint in advance if you have a group or school that requires a tour booking: https://www.ramint.gov.au/school-and-group-bookings
- All lost property will be given to the security desk. To ask about lost property, please enquire at the welcome desk or call 6202 6900.
We hope you enjoy your visit!