The Investigating Australian Coins lower primary resources are designed to educate students from Foundation to Year 2 about Australian decimal currency.
Along with a Unit of work, you will find activity sheets (in PDF and IWB formats) that can be used individually or bound together to form a complete student workbook. You will also find some classroom lesson ideas to reinforce the activities on the sheets.
Australian Curriculum (v8) links
Investigating Australian Coins links directly to Australian Curriculum Mathematics, particularly the Years 1 and 2 Number and Algebra strands outlined below:
Year 1 Mathematics - Number and Algebra - Money and financial matters
Recognise, describe and order Australian coins according to their value (ACMNA017)
- showing that coins are different in other countries by comparing Asian coins to Australian coins
- understanding that the value of Australian coins is not related to size
- describing the features of coins that make it possible to identify them
Year 2 Mathematics - Number and Algebra - Money and financial matters
Count and order small collections of Australian coins and notes according to their value (ACMNA034)
- identifying equivalent values in collections of coins or notes, such as two five-cent coins having the same value as one 10-cent coin
- counting collections of coins or notes to make up a particular value, such as that shown on a price tag
Broad Learning Outcomes
Participating in the Investigating Australian Coins program will assist students in achieving the following outcomes:
- Students will be able to recognise and order Australian coins according to their value.
- Students will be able to identify the heads and tails sides of coins and discuss the images on them.
- Students will be able to discuss the similarities and differences between Australian coins and currency from other countries.
- Students will be able to describe the Australian coins according to their size, shape and colour.
If you have any comments or suggestions for other resources please email our Education Team Leader.